It is very traditional to eat Lamb with peas at Easter in Italy. The secret to this dish is leaving the lamb to cook over a very low heat and the other ingredients will break down to form part of the sauce.
- Prepare your ingredients, dice your lamb, chop your vegetables and peel and chop your garlic ready to cook the dish.
- Heat a little oil in a pan gently sweat off the onions, celery and carrots till softened, but not coloured. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Once the vegetables are softened add the chilli, anchovies, garlic and thyme. Stir until the anchovies dissolve into the oil.
- Add the lamb and seal on all sides.
- When the lamb is completely sealed all over add the wine and allow to cook until the lamb has reduced by half.
- Once the wine has reduced add a drizzle of the white wine vinegar and stir in well.
- Add the potatoes, peas and chopped tomatoes and stir in together well.
- Reduce the heat to its lowest setting, cover with lid and leave to cook for about an hour.
- After an hour remove the lid add some chopped flat leaf parsley
- Check seasoning and stir together well.
- Serve in a bowl.